Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Winner Winner and a PWE question

By now most of you know that Night Owl won the Ebay gift card.  The amount on the card was $31.27 and after a few clues, he nailed it.  Several of you were close and Night Owl himself missed by only one cent early in the contest.

Congrats to him for winning and thanks to everyone who played along.  It's not too late to get in on the PWE action.  Just send your name, address, and collecting interests to playattheplatedude at yahoo dot com.  Between that email and my twitter @patpdude, I only had 15 people request a PWE. This is a no obligation deal so get in if you want.  No guarantees on what you'll get, but it will be something of interest to you.

On to the PWE question.  I've gotten a number of PWEs in the last year.  Some of them come with cards loaded into 1/3 of a nine pocket page that someone has cut apart.  My plan is to reuse those and ship the same way, but I was curious how many cards I can mail that way with one stamp.  Sure, I could figure it out my self, but what is the fun in that.  I wanted to see if any of you experience PWE mailers had an answer.  I want to maximize each one so give me some feedback if you have the answer!

Thanks everyone.

10 comments:

  1. I have definitely received ones with 6 cards (2/pocket) on one stamp. Whether that was legit or not, I don't know...but I got it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double digits, for sure... I have yet to get one returned to me for insufficient postage. I have mailed relics and other thick cards in PWEs (using the 3 pocket method). I tend to stuff the pockets with cards so the envelop is firm. They measure by weight at the post office, not 100% sure how much is too much. 4or 5 cards per pocket has worked for me with a single stamp...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten some like that with about 12 maybe a few more. Thinking on it more one of those had two stamps on the envelope. Probably just the sender being cautious on the safe side. OH um what Brian said above about 4 or 5 per pocket. I don't think more than 5 cards will fit (6 maybe if they are early 80s Donruss thinness/thickness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do three cards per pocket for 9 total all the time and have never been rejected, but based on Brian's comment it looks like you could push it even further than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, if I use the 1/3 9 pocket, I'll put 4 per, for 12 cards. Then I put a forever stamp and an extra 20 cents on it to be sure. It might make it on the one stamp, but I tend to find my PO is really tough. I have had stuff sent back to me postage due and their scales must be off because it weighed a different value for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the 1/3 page approach as well, going with 3 cards per slot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only send out 12 in one of those strips, but I've received as many as 19 on one forever stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use my wife's kitchen scale to weigh envelopes. One ounce or less is good with a Forever stamp. But for over an ounce, you should probably use 70 cents postage (or more if you're really stuffing in a bunch of cards). Sometimes I push it, and cross my fingers the post office worker processing it is cool, and haven't had any issues yet. I've been on the receiving end of a few "postage due" envelopes/packages over the past year or so.. sometimes they get delivered as normal (I guess the "postage due" marking is just a warning? Or else the letter carrier was just being cool), and sometimes I get an orange slip and have to stand in line for 20 minutes at the post office to pay them a few cents to get what was sent to me. That sucks, so I try not to put anyone through it. I'd almost kinda rather they just return it for insufficient postage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the using 1/3rd of a binder page approach as well but I prefer to send custom (re-)packs so I rarely ever go down that route.

    ReplyDelete