Saturday, March 12, 2016

New Series: WTH?

So yea, the guy who hasn't done a real play at the plate post in a long, long, looooong time, is going to start a new post series.

And yea, he doesn't have a creative bone in his body so he's calling it WTH?  As in what the hell is going on on this card.

Let's see how it goes, shall we?

Every now and then you run across the card that just grabs your attention because of the action or the non-baseball stuff or maybe it's a prop or odd piece of non-baseball garb.  Maybe you're like me and you think WTH?  I'm not really a WTF kind of guy.

So here is the first card in what I'm sure will be a long lasting and well-received series of posts. Probably award winning even.  (Please read the two previous statements with just a hint of sarcasm.)





I was sorting cards last week and ran across this card.  At first glance it didn't hit me, but then I noticed something that made me say WTH?  Eric Karros appears to be getting into position for a possible ground ball.  So why is Tommy Lasorda behind him, preparing to throw the ball?  After doing a double-take, I figured it was just a pre-game warm-up and Tommy was taking a turn at first. I do like seeing him doing something other than sitting in a golf cart or on the bench.  I just wish UD would have given him his own card.

Maybe that's an idea for Topps.  Give Managers their own cards, but show them actually doing something like COACHING.  I'm not asking for action variations either, just a regular old base card where they are hitting fly balls or showing a player HOW to do something.

It's just a thought Topps.  

8 comments:

  1. Seconded on the manager cards idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think coaching on managers' cards would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be in favor either of manager cards as you suggest or bringing back the "manager & coaches" cards from 1973 & 1974. Those were cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes yes yes. see bob ojeda's 1992 upper deck card for an example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, this has the potential to be a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a similar thought within last couple of weeks, can't remember what card made me think of this, but it was similar to the Karros Lasorda above.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There should be a lenticular or hologram card set of managers giving signals!

    ReplyDelete