Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Granny can beat up your granny

Not long ago, I got a new Granny.

It arrived courtesy of the one and only Collective Troll and was part of the payoff when the Rangers defeated the Rays in the ALDS.





It's a beautiful 1956 Granny Hamner play at the plate card. I have to admit that these images aren't of the card the Troll sent. I "borrowed" these from the interweb for reasons I won't go into again. Rest assured the card the Troll sent is every bit as nice as this one.



Granville Wilbur Hamner played 17 years in the big leagues, 15 of those with the Phillies. He was primarily a shortstop and secondbaseman. His career numbers aren't too shabby. He had 1,529 hits, 104 homers and 708 RBIs to go along with a .262 average. He played in 3 straight All-Star games ('52-'54) and the 1950 World Series in which the Phils were swept by the Yankees. Granny did hit .429 in that World Series, but it didn't help.

Many thanks to Troll for adding yet another great 1956 PATP card to my collection. I have one more from him to post and just received 3 more in the mail from another great blogger.

1 comment: