Thursday, November 21, 2013

The most expensive base card in my collection...an Ebay break regret

I recently watcher Topher over at Crackin' Wax do a Charity Case Break of Triple Threads.  I wasn't involved in the break because the buy in was a bit steep for me to spend all at one time.  As the break progressed I was immediately sick at my stomach that I didn't buy the Rangers.

Topher pulled a Jurickson Profar Jumbo Relic Book Card #1/3 AND a Mike Olt Autographed Triple Relic Plate White Whale #1/1.  Unbelievable!!  At least for me it would have been.

The samd night I watched that video, I was perusing EBay and came across an auction for the Rangers slot in a Triple Threads three box break that was ending in mere minutes.  I jumped in and made the highest bid and waited patiently for the break to start.

About 20 minutes and three boxes later, I was the proud owner of this card:




That's a $22.49 base card of one Yu Darvish.  Sweet right?  I know box/case breaks are a gamble, but I was very surprised not to get even a basic "hit" from the break.  The Rangers have the 3rd most hits in the product and are therefore usually well represented in the breaks.

I guess one good thing about this lesson is I haven't jumped in on any more case breaks.  I guess I could look at it this way.  How many blasters have I opened and gotten nothing I really wanted.  (At least those things provide trade bait!)

Oh well, live and learn I guess.

8 comments:

  1. At least you got something I remember getting in on one of Colbey's, from Cardboard Collections, high end breaks. I think it might have been the only one he ever did. I think it was Marquee or something on that level. I can't remember what the buy in was probably something around $20-30 bucks and I walked away with zip. That was a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I always liked Colbey's cheap breaks.

      Delete
  2. Bummer buddy. I've been there myself. I won't say I'll never join in a break again... but chances are I won't anytime soon. I'd rather use the money to buy singles I want off of eBay, COMC, or other card sites.

    By the way... congratulations on getting Fielder. He should smack 40+ next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I just bought into my first online case break... 10 cases, 120 boxes, 28,880 packs of 2013 Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects.

    Here's the fun part .... $15..... and I get one guy.
    Not one team... one guy. At least I got to pick the guy, so I'm hoping it turns out well.
    Break happens sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. Let us know how you did.

      Delete
  4. Yep, know the feeling I got 2 common Ravens out of the box break I was in. Oh well win some loss some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done an eBay break before. I guess I'm too cheap.

    ReplyDelete