Monday, May 2, 2011

Whoa...the news isn't that interesting

No, I'm not talking about Bin Laden.

In my post yesterday, I mentioned some news that might prove to be interesting. Captain Canuck guessed that "we" were pregnant. Several kind souls jumped in and started congratulating us, but let me assure you, my wife is NOT pregnant. If she ever gets pregnant again, I'm punching a certain doctor in his "Gypsy Queen" jewels.

The news is more hobby related. We were having our twice yearly yard sale this past weekend. On Saturday, a familiar gentleman came strolling up the driveway. He was at the last yard sale, but I didn't get a chance to speak to him.

He used to own two card shops. One was your typical card shop with new product, cases full of singles, etc. and his son ran it. The other was close to my house and the one I spent quite a bit of time and money. It was the one he worked out of and it was a rather small shop in one of those strip mall centers. It was full, and I mean full, of storage boxes. 800 count boxes. 3200 count boxes. All sizes and shapes, there were boxes in every nook and cranny. He bought cards from anyone who brought in their collections. He looked through the boxes as time permitted, but he would let you search through them and there were tons of great cards in those boxes. He gave great deals too.

We talked for a few minutes and he told me he retired several years ago. After retiring he moved out to my neck of the woods. The interesting part came when he invited me over to his house where he still keeps a fairly large inventory of cards in storage boxes for his former customers. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I can make time to go see exactly what he still has for sale.

This might work out for me as well as those of you who keep wantlists posted. I'll let you know how it turns out.

By the way, check back around 5PM central time and the May contest will be up.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing says "loving" like a punch in the Gypsy Jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A scavenger hunt! Good times - should be a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a guy who keeps his wantlists posted, I'm eager to see how this turns out for you..

    Even just looking at some of his stuff should prove interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't blame me, Captain Canuck started it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a born leader... follow me minions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the wantiest want list that ever a wanter could want.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine are updated, always! (wink wink, nudge nudge)

    Hope you're feeling better, by the way.

    ReplyDelete