Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What's All the Fuss Johnny...or Where I've been for a week

It's been over a week since my last post.  I'm behind on posting trade packages, I'm behind on sending trade packages (and $$), I'm behind on sending prize packages...blah blah blah.  You name it, I'm behind on it.

I have a reason this time.  I've been pretty sick the last week.  Here in North Texas, we've had almost 40 flu-related deaths in recent weeks and I was afraid the flu was coming after me too.  Turns out I had a stomach bug, not the flu.  The discomfort and fever that accompanied that little critter still put me down for the count.

While I dig my way out of the backlog, I'll give you a taste of one of the things I love about blogging.  As you know, I hold a fair number of contests.  Sometimes I think the blogosphere pays me back by letting me win a contest now and then.

Jim over at GCRL wanted to give Steve Garvey a great big blogosphere birthday and encouraged everyone to send birthday wishes out to Steve.  He offered up a prize for doing so and lo and behold, I won.

In addition to the main prize of a 1952 Topps card, Jim included a few other cards he knew I'd appreciate.




John B. Wockenfuss.  Grizzled catcher, old-school mask and a chaw of to-baccy.  Awesomeness.




Despite Darren Daulton's sad medical diagnosis, I had to smile at this card.  What a pose!




Jim didn't forget my Rangers.  He sent this awesome O-Pee-Chee Jim Kern.  You know, the famous Lanceur!



Here was the real prize.  This is a 1952 Topps Eddie Yost.  It's almost too much vintage greatness for one card.  Jim had placed the card in a penny sleeve and a top loader.  I couldn't get that bad boy out of there fast enough so could feel the vintage.  Love it.  As a matter of fact, I love it so much, I bought a discounted group of '52s off Ebay after I received it.  I'll show them off another day.

Thanks for cards Jim and thanks to everyone for still being here after my brief disappearance!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better. That stuff is no fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pick-ups I'm also behind on things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey those are the cards I sent! Vintage begets more vintage, I agree. Glad you are feeling alright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better! Congrats on winning the contest! That Yost is awesome!

    ReplyDelete