Saturday, June 23, 2012

Random and Kindness go together like Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock

I'm going to give you a second to soak up the greatness of this card.  Go ahead, stare away.




I've been staring the orange of this 1964 Topps Senators Team card since I got it.  I can't help but wonder if some players off the back row were airbrushed out.  The back of the card shows each pitcher's record against every team the Senators played.  Unfortunately, it doesn't list the whole team.  Still, it's an amazing card and one I'm glad to now own.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love contests.  Especially blog contests in which you can win amazing cards.  I've been incredibly lucky when it comes to winning contests and that's part of the reason I hold a monthly contest.  I like to give back a little.

My latest bit of good fortune was from Capt Kirk over at CaptKirk42's Trading Card Blog.  He had a Random Acts of Cardness contest and it was one of those nice and simple contests where you just need to comment to be entered.  Somehow the randomizer landed on my name and Kirk sent over the card above and many more.




I had to show off the relic Kirk sent over.  It's a 2008 Heritage Clubhouse Collection Hank Blalock jersey.  Now that I've got that out of the way, lets get on to some authentic vintage greatness.





In a time saving maneuver, I scanned these cards in one group.  As you can see, we have '61, '64 and '65 well represented.   




Which one of these doesn't belong?  Let's see, 5 1968s, 3 1970s and a 2007 Upper Deck.  I'm going to take a stab and say Scott Feldman.   I just put the Feldman in there because he's been the focus of so much speculation lately.  He's having a terrible season and lost his spot, at least temporarily, to a minor league call-up.




I saved the best for last.  This 1969 Topps Ted Shows How card talks about Ted passing on his knowledge of the game, but all I've heard or read says Ted wasn't much of a teacher.  His philosophy of' "see the ball, hit the ball" was easier said than done.  I still like this card a lot and I'm glad to finally have one in my collection.

Thanks for the great package Kirk!!!

3 comments:

  1. Is Ted showing how to hit a ball or did the rook piss him off and he's about to club him in the face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Ted showing how to hit a ball or did the rook piss him off and he's about to club him in the face?

    ReplyDelete