Wednesday, August 15, 2012

2012 Goodwin Champions: Beauty and the Beast


Yesterday, my mother in law showed up at my house with flowers for my wife and a blaster of cards for me. I happen to know how much the flowers at Wal-Mart cost, which means I know she spent more on me than she did on her daughter.  It's the thought that counts right.

I didn't know Goodwin Champions was out and it's not something I would buy myself, but with the week I've had so far, I wasn't going to turn down free cards.

The skinny on the blaster is this:  12 packs per blaster, 4 cards per pack.  So unless you get a memorabilia card, you're looking at 48 cards.  The minis come an average of 5 per blaster.  The box odds are as follows:

autographs - 1:480 packs
memorabilia cards - 1:96 packs
Goodwin Champions Minis - 1:3.33 packs
Military Machines - 1:12 packs
Goodwin Champions Minis - 1:2.5 packs

That's not a typo.  Both the box and the packs have the minis listed twice, with different odds, so I don't know if that's a glaring error or I'm just losing my mind.

Some of the base cards have different colored backgrounds on the Goodwin Champions banner across the top of the card so that might be a parallel of some type.  I'm not sure though.

I'll try to scan some more cards for tomorrow, but for now I just took two pics with my phone.

First, the Beauty.



The second pack revealed this beautiful Natalie Gulbis mini.  If you don't know who she is, look her up.  You'll be glad you did.



The beast was this awful Carlton Fisk.  I showed him because I collect him.  If this was the first card I ever saw of Fisk, I'd never collect him and be dubious if you told me he was a baseball Hall of Famer.

A quick review is that these cards are more monstrosity than not.  Many of the black edged cards had minor chipping.  Not good.  I pulled one Military Machines card and it was very nice.  The Gulbis is nice.  Other than that, I can't say much good about Goodwin Champions.

Oh yea, it was free.  That was good.

5 comments:

  1. I'm surprised there's an Upper Deck product with odds on it. Maybe UD is so out of practice with this concept that they botched it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Googling her fared much better than the awful photoshop job they did of her on that card. blech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like there's literally one employee left at Upper Deck, and they sit in a basement chasing meth with moonshine and Skittles all day long.

    ReplyDelete