Saturday, May 1, 2010

Cards from the Old Man Part 16: Frank Robinson

This is the sixteenth in a series of posts about cards I received from the old collector in our town who had library catalogs full of cards from the 1950's-1970's. You can see those original posts here and here if you missed them.

This is Frank Robinson's second appearance in this series. You can see the write up about the 1972 Topps card and his career recap here. I won't rehash his career highlights since I did that once already.




Beardy posted a nice Frank Robinson auto along with the info that ARod is about to tie Frank for #7 on the All-Time homerun list. That makes me a little sad. Of all the cards I received, this one was in the worst condition. There is a crease that runs all the way across the top, just below the label on the bat and through the cap. The top 1/4 of the right edge is really chipped and the corners are soft...buttery soft. All that and I have to say the front side is gem mint compared to the back.




Some type of paper got stuck to the back of this card many, many years ago. This card was in such poor condition that the old man just threw it in with some other cards, basically giving it to me for nothing. I was more than happy to take it at the time and I've grown accustomed to the "growth" on the back.

Even though the majority of the stats are covered, you can see the "big three" that matter. This was the first card issued after Frank won the 1966 Triple Crown and you can just see those stats on the bottom right. 49 homers, 122 RBIs and a .316 batting average.


1 comment: