Saturday, June 5, 2010

Double Vision, A Night Card for you know HOO and an All-Star Moment

I love titles that are short and to the point. Succinct even. Don't you? Well, you won't get that today.

As I searched through cards looking for something to post this weekend, I found some of these interesting multiple exposure shots.

1995 Topps Royce Clayton. Tim Hyers only played in 52 games for the Padres in 1994. That made it easy to find this play was from May 26, 1994. In the bottom of the first inning, Hyers walked against William VanLandingHam and the great Tony Gwynn hit into a double play. The Giants would win that game 5-3. That's a nice series of shots of the double play turn.


This 1995 Topps Wayne Kirby also tells a story. May 1, 1994. The Rangers are visiting Cleveland. It's the bottom of the 6th, tied 3-3. Kenny Lofton singles, but gets picked off first by Rick Helling. Wayne Kirby walks. Carlos Baerga strikes out, but Kirby steals second and advances to 3rd on the errant throw from Rangers catcher Junior Ortiz. Kirby didn't score however, and the Rangers won the game 5-4.




I don't know when this picture was taken, but I do know Dave Nilsson hit the first homerun ever at the Ballpark in Arlington. It was the home opener on April 11, 1994. He hit it off Kenny Rogers in the top of the 5th inning. I got to see it in person...and it was bittersweet as the Brewers beat the Rangers 4-3.


I think this 1990 Upper Deck Wade Boggs may be a night shot. It's a cool shot no matter when it was taken. The back is even better. (That scan sure is crooked)



There is no mistaking when this shot was taken. July 11, 1989. The All-Star game in Anaheim. Down 2-0 in the bottom of the first, the A.L. leads off with Bo Jackson against Rick Reuschel. Bo knows baseball and Bo knows homeruns. Bo leads off with a homer and is greeted at home plate by Wade Boggs, in a moment captured on the back of this card. Moments later, Boggs also homers, tying the game 2-2. The A.L would go on to win the game 5-3 and Bo would win MVP honors for going 2-4 with homer, 2 RBIs and a stolen base.

These are all fun cards and I got to use the word succinct in a post. Twice.

1 comment:

  1. Those '95 cards are pretty neat. I have the Nilsson card, but I haven't seen the other two before.

    I got the prize pack today and I wanted to thank you for them. Any package I get that has packs of cards that I do not have many of, an autographed Royal card, and a healthy stack of '81 Donruss is alright by me. Thanks a bunch Brian!

    ReplyDelete