Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A tale of two blasters

I just checked the mirror. I don't see the word "SUCKER" on my forehead, but it must be there somewhere. I know because I opened two discount blasters of 2010 Topps Chrome yesterday.

I knew the cards were going to be warped, but I did it anyway. Half price is half price and is probably still too much for these Pringles...I mean cards.

The interesting thing was how one blaster was packed out. The first blaster was normal, but the second blaster was different. As you probably know, there are only 4 cards in each pack. These had two cards facing out on each side of the pack. Basically like a Chrome sandwich with nothing in the middle. I don't know if that was by design, but it the cards in the second blaster were nowhere near as warped as the first. As a matter of fact, most of them were very flat.



The card on the left is from the first blaster. It is typical of the 2010 Chrome cards we've all seen. The card on the right is from the second blaster. It's very flat and I haven't done anything to it to make it that way.

As for the contents of the blasters, the results weren't terrible. In the first blaster I got one two regular refractors (Brian Roberts and Jimmy Rollins), three X-fractors (Ian Desmond, Carlos Beltran and Allen Craig), one purple refractor (Torii Hunter #472/599) and this:



It's a Topps 206 Chrome Refractor Derek Jeter #130/499. This came from the warped blaster and is so warped it should be on the DL with Jeter. It's really not a bad pull at 1:165 packs...ok, ok, I know it's a Yankee. It's for trade. Are there any Rangers in that insert set?

Blaster #2 didn't give up anything quite like the Jeter.

I got three regular refractors (Zach Duke, Hiroki Kuroda and Chris Coghlan), three X-fractors (Carlos Gonzalez, Denard Span and Carl Crawford) and one purple refractor:



Yes, it was a Carl Crawford box. Actually it was a Marlins box too. One whole pack had only Marlins in it. Yay me! (No offense Wicked).

I must say it was nice to open a pack (or 8) of nearly normal Chrome cards. I hope I can say the same thing about my packs of 2011 Chrome later this year.

3 comments:

  1. There was some discounted 2010 Chrome packs at Target the other day. I passed right over them because they were practically rolling in a ball by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understood why people complained about the curly chrome cards in 2010 because they were not any worse than they ever were before. Every year of Chrome since about 2003 in both Topps and Bowman variety is just as curly as a 2010 Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say that Adam. All chrome cards have a small bend, but nothing near as bad as 2010's cards.

    ReplyDelete