Monday, October 31, 2011

I'm over it...sort of



2011 World Series Game 6.

I'll never forget it. 1 strike away from being champions. Twice.

When the Rangers didn't win Game 6, I had little hope for Game 7. It just seemed like the Cardinals were destined to win.

The Rangers gave me a glimmer of hope when they scored 2 runs in the top of the 1st inning in Game 7. It was all downhill from that point.

Throughout most of Game 7 I sat dejectedly in my recliner. I didn't yell. I didn't throw things. (I did both of those things during Game 6). As soon as the last out was made, I turned the TV off. I just couldn't watch another celebration at the Rangers' expense.

I sulked most of the morning on Saturday. My son's last baseball game of the fall season was Saturday afternoon and watching those boys play and have a good time made me remember that baseball is supposed to be fun. Winning is great (and I still want a World Series title), but the experience is what it's really all about. In all honesty, I get more joy watching my son make a good play than I do seeing the Rangers win. I guess it's all about your perspective.

I'm still a litte sad they lost, but they got there two years in a row. Two years of World Series baseball that involved the Rangers. That is still incredible to me.

I don't know what 2012 will hold for the team and I'm sure there will be a number of roster changes going forward, but I still like their chances. We'll just have to wait and see.

Now if I can just talk my wife into a road trip to Surprise, Arizona in the Spring.


By the way, stay tuned for a special Halloween contest later today.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry man, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Braves had to lose two before getting their ring though!

    (Just don't beat us in the World Series, please. CAUSE WE'RE TOTALLY WINNING THE NL NEXT YEAR!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might make you feel better:
    1926 - Babe Ruth is thrown out stealing to end the World Series - heartbreaking.
    The next year - 1927 Yankees.

    1960 - Yankees lose the World Series on a walk-off in a series they dominated in every statistical category - heartbreaking.
    The next year - 1961 Yankees.

    1995 - Yankees lose the NLDS on a walkoff, ending Don Mattingly's career without a championship - heartbreaking.
    The next year - 1996 Yankees

    1997 - Yankees lose the NLDS on a blown save by Mariano Rivera - heartbreaking.
    The next year - 1998 Yankees.

    So there is a history of teams coming back from this and absolutely destroying the competition, probably out of anger of what happened the previous season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. time heals all wounds my friend.

    I only think about '91 and '92 and '96 and '99 every few days now instead of constantly.

    so there's that to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only Braves fans and Dodgers fans can truly appreciate how you feel (the only other teams to lose back-to-back World Series). I suffered that heartbreak as an early adolescent -- as if I didn't have enough problems then.

    By the way the Dodgers came back from back-to-back Series losses to the Yankees to BEAT the Yankees in the '81 Series. Now that is PAYBACK. And inspiration, I hope.

    ReplyDelete