Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Is Neftali happy or what?

I see the Rangers signed Joe Nathan to a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd year.



Nathan missed the 2010 season after having Tommy John surgery on his right elbow, but he appeared in 48 games in 2011, compiling a 2-1 record with a 4.84 ERA and 14 saves (in 17 opportunities) while splitting the closing duties with Matt Capps.

I guess this means the Rangers are set on making a starter out of Neftali Feliz.




I think Bengie Molina just told him about the signing on this card. If Joe Nathan can return to form, the Rangers should have a pretty potent bullpen next season.

The Nefti card and the ones to follow come courtesy of Tony over at The Common (Card) Man. He contacted me via email about a trade and that's exactly what we did. Well, he did his part. I'm a little embarassed to be posting his cards before he even has his, but that's due in part to my illness last week. Rest assured Tony, your package is on it's way.

Tony sent over a pretty diverse package, which is my favorite kind. He knocked a number of cards off my wantlists while he was at it.




I love the quirkiness of this 1999 Fleer Tradition John Wetteland. Wetteland finished up a nice 12 year career with a 4 year stint in Texas. He racked up 150 of his 330 career saves while with the Rangers. He pitched for the Rangers during their first two playoff appearances in 1998 and 1999. The Rangers didn't fare well in those series, but Wetteland did have 4 saves in the 1996 World Series . (I know it was the Yankees, but I didn't want to say it.)




Here is another amazing Rusty Greer photo. This is a 1997 Fleer Sports Illustrated card that shows a signature Rusty dive. It's not the one that saved Kenny Rogers' perfect game on July 28, 1994, but you can see that one at the 3:00 minute mark of this video.

Kenny Rogers' Perfect Game: The Old School Edition from Ron Escargon on Vimeo.


Tony included at least one play at the plate card you'll be seeing in a separate post.

Thanks Tony!

No comments:

Post a Comment