Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Still Blue

Yesterday I was feelin' blue, in a bad way.

Today, I'm still blue, but I'm a lot happier about it. I got my second Blowoutcards.com forum purchase in the mail and it was a good one.

I picked up a small lot of Topps Marquee cards that I may use for the December contest. I also got this trio of cards.





My son will get this 2008 Upper Deck Justin Smoak for his ever-expanding USA collection. I hated to see Justin Smoak go to Seattle, but I've been happy enough with Mitch Moreland at first base. Moreland is streaky, but I like him and with Napoli and Young spelling him at first, he did ok last year. Price: 50 cents. Not bad.



I'm going to pretend that the wood chip on this Ian Kinsler Heritage card is from the bat he's holding and not a piece of office furniture a Topps intern found outside his apartment. I may poke fun, but Topps (and all the other companies) bring it on themselves for the disclaimer on the back about "the relic on this card is not from any specific game, event or season." I needed it for the collection anyway and the price was right. Price: $1.50. Again, not too bad.





The last single I purchased was this beauty and it's the reason I'm still "blue". It's a 2011 N43 Relic Joe Mauer #16/25 with a blue swatch. Even the hand numbering is in blue. I know it's a stretch, but I can't help it. I opened two boxes of A&G this year hoping to get something this nice and for a fraction of the cost, I got it on the secondary market. That should teach me something. Price: $11.00.

With the lot of Marquee I bought, the total for this purchase was less than the price of a blaster so I'm pretty happy with it. I've certainly done a lot worse buying and busting packs myself. Makes you think...

4 comments:

  1. Damn, that's a sweet deal on the Mauer! Love the Smoak too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make you think. That's why I love opening flagship. No expectations, just fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn I wish the Smoak was for trade :/

    ReplyDelete