Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Icy reception

14 days.

It was 14 days between my "Queen Walks into a Museum" post and my 2000th post contest.  I didn't want to do the 2000th post without having the prize from Topps in my grubby little hands.  I wasn't resting on my laurels during that two week break from the blog.  I spent many hours sorting through the 5000 count boxes from my LCS buddy.  I combined the contents of all 4 boxes and I think I started to go blind.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm 40-something, but those 16,000+ little numbers on the back of all those cards just about blinded me.

During those 14 days, I also received a number of Ebay purchases (I'm going to have to go cold turkey on there soon) and made a couple of trips to my LCS buddy's house.  My LCS buddy has been having some health issues in his family so we've mostly just spent my time there talking about cards and family.  He hasn't brought out any new stuff for me to look at which is fine.

Now that summer is approaching (it's already hit 90 here in Dallas), Ebay provided some relief in the form of ICE.  As in red and purple ice.




This is the 2013 Bowman Red Ice Derek Holland and OMG it's an Ebay 1/1 because it's #25/25!  I'm RICH!!!  

While I'm being ridiculous, I just thought I'd say how irritating it is to read all those Ebay auctions that say every other card is an EBAY 1/1!!!!!  If you want to look at it that way, every single serial numbered card is an EBAY 1/1 because there can only be one of each number.  Only one 212/500, only one 213/500 and so on.  The whole thing is just stupid.  




Moving forward to 2014, we have a red ice Adrian Beltre #16/25. I'm going to try not to get too worked up over the numbering this time.



I've become a little obsessed with Derek Holland cards.  This 2014 Bowman Purple Ice is # 8/10.  I'm not finished scanning all the stuff I bought on Ebay, but you'll be seeing this one again.  Or one very much like it.

I've got more red and purple ice to show off soon.  I know you can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Bowman's Ice and Wave cards are some of the nicest out there.

    Also, couldn't agree more on the ebay 1/1 thing. It makes no sense and is very dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're the other Derek Holland guy...

    Actually, I don't think I bid on the Purple # 8 / 10. The one I bid on was # 6 / 10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand what you're saying on the serial numbering drama. But I actually would be willing to pay a premium (not much, but maybe up to 10% extra) for a card that has a serial number with the guy's jersey number... or maybe even the first card in the print run.

    ReplyDelete