Thursday, March 25, 2010

Topps Transmogrifier Giveth and then...not so much

I've been sitting on a couple of Million Card Codes for a week or so. That is quite an accomplishment for me. I'm downright impatient when it comes to those things. The funny thing is I don't seem to have a problem with Topps having the cards once I unlock them, I just can't bear not knowing what the codes will get me.

I'm that way with packs too. I don't know how some of you can sit there, all calm, cool, collected, with the knowledge that you have unopened wax on the shelf. Honestly, I can't do it.

At any rate, I was checking on some trade offers I had made (I've actually completed at least a dozen trades in the last 3 days) when I noticed that the Transmogrifier, as a certain Carboard Junkie likes to call it, was spewing a good mix of early 60's and 70's cards with a late 2000 card mixed in every once in a while. I decided to break out my last two code cards and see what happened. I figured if I did ok with the first one, I would use the second one. I entered the first code....waited....waited....and saw this:




1959 Gary Bell





Bell had a very nice 12-10 record as a rookie in 1958. They may have exaggerated his size on the cartoon...just a tad. Bell went on to pitch for 12 seasons, primarily with Cleveland and ended up with a 121-117 record and 1,378 strikeouts.

Needless to say, as soon as this little gem popped up and I entered the second code as quickly as I could. This is what popped up next:



1989 Dodgers Team Leaders

Well, that wasn't quite as well received as the Bell card. Still, I'm happy with any '59 card and with the few trades I've made in the past few days, the number of vintage and Rangers cards in my virtual "porfolio" is nice.

By the way, that Dodgers card is "available" Night Owl!


8 comments:

  1. Sweet! I can finally gain my 28th 1989 Dodgers team leaders card. I've been waiting a long time for ol' No. 28.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! that Bell card is great! I LOVE '59s and not just for the awesome cartoons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Night Owl, I'm almost willing to pay to have that one shipped just to send it to you!

    Troll, I've already traded the Bell card. Someone offered me a 1955 Senators card for it....I took it. It wasn't until I was researching for a post that will be up later this weekend that I realized the Washington Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961 and a NEW Senators team was created which would later become the Texas Rangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey that was me who traded the stobbs to you...i was thinking the sens would have interested you, and didnt think about the timing of the sens moves...troll, im looking for indians, not necessarily attached to this bell...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i also have a '76 dave moates brian any other indians in your queue??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 1979 Don Hood, pitcher for Cle. I don't mind it was the wrong Senator. It is still a cool card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there are 84 of them, so make the offer brian otherwise someone else will take it

    ReplyDelete