Monday, September 13, 2010

Who Needs Hot Girls When You've Got Hot Vintage?

That's my attempt at a little "tongue-in-cheek" fun. If you read Night Owl's "Image is Everything" post, you know what I mean. I can't wait to see what his hit count is for that post.

This post has nothing to do with Hot Girls. I know that may be disappointing to some of you, but I'll try to make it up to you sometime. Maybe a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader post. I'd be less embarrassed about them than the way the Cowboys played yesterday.

The focus of this post is my latest Topps Million Card Giveaway trade. I've been trying to trade away all the cards I don't want to pay to have delivered. Other than Washington Senators, I've been trying to acquire some 1956 cards because there are a lot of nice play at the plate cards in that set.

I shipped off 14 semi-unwanted cards (including one 1961 Dodger and one 1961 Senator that I already had) for this card.


It is a nice 1956 Frank House card. Unfortunately, the Athletic in the picture was safe, but it's still a great play at the plate card. Frank House played 10 years in the majors. He played more than 100 games only 3 times and played 23 or less games 4 times.


House's best year is shown on the back of his 1956 card. In 1955, he hit 15 home runs and had 53 RBIs while hitting .259.

I like the cartoon on the far right. It says "Big Frank is a tough man to move at the plate."

Wikipedia has some good stuff on Frank. "A native of Bessemer, Alabama, House signed out of high school with the Tigers in 1948 for one of the biggest bonuses of the time – $75,000 and two automobiles, according to news reports. House made his debut in 1950 at 20 years of age. He earned his nickname as a baby, when his family used to say he was "big as a house" and he twisted "big" into "pig"."

Frank House died on March 13, 2005 at the age of 75.


2 comments: