Tuesday, August 31, 2010

CA-Lapse

That's the St. Louis Cardinals collapse. If I did the math right, the Cincinnati Reds are 18-8 so far this month. The Cardinals are 11-14. As of right now, the Reds have a 6 game lead on the Cards. On August 1st, again, if I did the math right, the Cards had a 1/2 game lead on the Reds. In a matter of a month, the Reds made a 6.5 game turnaround and now sit nicely atop the NL Central.

My point is this: I'm still not comfortable with the Rangers 8.5 game lead over the A's. The magic number is what it is and that's swell. I know this team is far superior to teams we've had in Texas, probably ever. However, years of disappointment have left me a little leary. I know this team CAN make the playoffs. I'm with them, just like I have been every year since I was a kid, and it's going to be a fun ride.

Now for the latest news...


Nelson Cruz was activated off the DL and played last night against the Royals. He had a double in his first at-bat and scored the first run of the game for the Rangers in a 3-0 win. Cruz' return means Julio Borbon and David Murphy will be rotating in the 3rd outfield spot.




Ian Kinsler should have a couple more rehab starts this week and rejoin the team on Friday. Even though Andres Blanco has been hitting a lot of doubles lately, I'm looking forward to the dilemma Ron Washington has on his hands-where to hit Kinsler in this lineup.



Derek Holland is supposed to get the start Friday because the Rich Harden woodshed treatment didn't take. Harden did throw nicely in a start last week, but gave up 4 runs in 4 1/3 innings Saturday. The Rangers have banished him to the bullpen so it remains to be seen how that turns out.

Last, but not least, the Rangers intend to move their AAA affiliate to Round Rock, Tx (near Austin) from Oklahoma City. That may not matter to many, but I have family in Round Rock and now I may have an excuse to go visit them.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard that the Redhawks wouldn't be the AAA affiliate of the Rangers. But honestly I haven't kept up much with the Redhawks this year. I wonder what would happen in that case?

    ReplyDelete