Sunday, August 29, 2010

Joy of an Incomplete Page: Part 3

This is the third installment in a five part series. Oooh, that sounded official, didn't it? This page comes from my original binder. It was the binder that I carried back and forth to my best friend's house when we traded cards.

The front part of this page is pretty bare, a sure sign that I traded away some cards. Considering the cards that are here, I wonder what cards I traded.

The top two rows are empty and the lone card on the page is a much handled 1972 Topps Bob Gibson. The corners are soft, there's a small section on the back that is peeled away and there is the rather large crease down the left side. Even with all that wear, Bob still has the beginnings of a smile on his face. So do I as I sit here looking at the card.

The back of the page has a few more cards to offer.



In position two, top middle, we have a 1980 Topps Highlights card of Pete Rose. It commemorates Rose setting a record with his 10th straight seaon of 200 or more hits. That record still stands today. Ichiro went hitless yesterday, so he has 33 games to get 35 hits and tie Rose's record.

The top right corner has a 1979 Topps Record Breaker Pete Rose. This card highlights Rose breaking the modern NL record for consecutive games with a hit. His 44 game hit streak broke the mark of Tommy Holmes who hit in 37 straight in 1945. Rose's streak tied the all-time NL streak of 44 set by Willie Keeler in 1897.

The second row features Jim "Catfish" Hunter on his 1978 and 1979 Topps cards. As kids, we loved that his nickname was "Catfish".

The bottom row features a lone 1972 Topps card of Vida Blue. I can guarantee I didn't know who Vida Blue was back in the first couple of years of my collecting. I do know that I would have gotten this (and the Gibson) from my friend who got them from the "Creepy Old Janitor".

Only two more to go and there will be some more good vintage to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment