Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I remember...

As many of you know, I served in the Navy way back in the 1900's. (That's what my 9 year old calls those days.) I was stationed at the Pearl Harbor Naval Base from 1991 to 1994.

I'll never forget the first December 7th I spent at Pearl. It was the 50th anniversary of the attack. President George H.W. Bush was coming to speak at the memorial service and volunteers were asked to wear our dress white uniforms and line the streets. It was an awe inspiring day for a 21 year old kid and one which I'll never forget. Now, 20 years later and 70 years from the date of the attack, I still recall the feelings I had that day.





A tragic day for our country quickly turned into the rallying cry that would turn the tide of war on opposite sides of the world.





My thoughts this morning are with the men and women that were lost on December 7, 1941 and all the brave souls who lined up in recruitment centers over the next 4 years as the United States took the fight to the enemies of freedom and democracy.

My prayers are with every man and woman who is right now, at this moment, serving on a ship, at a forward operating base, flying an aircraft or watching the back of the soldier next to him. We owe a debt of gratitude to every single one of them.

4 comments:

  1. In 1991, I was in the Army, stationed at Ft. Gordon, Georgia. I was part of the detail "picked" to lower and fold the American flag during the ceremony.

    I echo that last paragraph in your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a debt that can never be re-paid. Thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your service.

    God Bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said.

    Thank you for your service, gentlemen.

    I was in the Navy as a submariner from '02-'08. Serving our country continues to be the highest privilege I've ever had.

    Never forget.

    ReplyDelete