Monday, December 12, 2011

You asked...

Ok, most of you didn't, but a couple blogger type friends emailed and asked how I felt about the Angels signing C.J. Wilson and Albert Pujols.

I'll tell you how I feel.



I think the Angels overpaid for C.J. He doesn't really have the track record to warrant that kind of money, but, and that's a very big but, lefty starters have been overpaid for years. It's amazing to me that anyone would, or could, pay that much money for what is probably their number 3 guy. I'll admit I was disappointed to see C.J. sign with the Angels, but mostly because of the divisional rivalry. I would much rather have seen him pitch for the Marlins. Of course, if the Rangers and Angels play an important game down the stretch and C.J. starts, I like the Rangers chances in that high pressure situation.

As for Pujols, I'm not surprised he came to the American League. His history of foot problems means he can play the field for a few more years and then switch over to DH and keep mashing. Again, I would have liked to see him sign into any other division, but what are you going to do? I guess it'll just be that much sweeter when the Rangers win the West next season. Hey, a guy can hope.

The other high profile situation this weekend was the positive test for Ryan Braun.





The MVP situation aside, I think it's a big blow to the whole game of baseball when one of your big stars takes a hit like this. Like many of you, I'll reserve judgement until all the facts are out, but I don't think it looks good at this point. I imagine a lot of you Braun collectors will be pretty devastated if the situation is as bad as it looks. It's hard for me to believe any big star would be that stupid, but people aren't known for their good judgement. That's people in general. Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't turn out too well for the Angels, huh?

    I called that.

    As for Braun: Portrait of a Modern Ballplayer. And it's nothing good.

    ReplyDelete