Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cards from the Old Man Part 13: Carl Yastrzemski

This is the thirteenth in a series of posts about cards I received from the old collector in our town who had library catalogs full of cards from the 1950's-1970's. You can see those original posts here and here if you missed them.


This next guy is THE one player on my PC list who shows up on great, vintage cards. He made an appearance in this series on his 1972 card and is back for 1971. I chose him because even at the age of 12, I knew how great he was and the fact that he was (and is) the last man to win the Triple Crown was one of the reasons I liked him.



Yaz is looking pretty serious in that shot. I won't rehash his career stats and accomplishments because I did that for his 1972 card.



The back of Yaz's card points out that he missed his 4th Batting Crown by a fraction of a point in 1970. Alex Johnson of the Angels finished with a .32899 average compared to Yaz's .32862. That's .00037 points. If Yaz could have gone 2-4 instead of 1-4 against the Yankees in that last game on September 30, 1970 he would have won the batting title.

No comments:

Post a Comment