Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Scorched Earth Scattershooting

The Texas Rangers entered August with an 8.5 game lead. They leave August with the same 8.5 game lead. Thank God that the A's and Angels don't really have it this year. The Rangers were 13-15 in August. I'm sorry, but limping into the playoffs isn't going to cut it. I suppose I should be happy their August swoon wasn't as bad as it has been in past seasons and that the other teams didn't make up any ground.

Unfortunately, this evening's game against the Royals was so brutally bad, I can't enjoy the big lead tonight. I don't know what is wrong with Cliff Lee, but I'm getting tired of telling everyone around here that "he'll be ok" or "just wait for the playoffs". That guy needs to get his act together. I know everyone goes through rough patches, but he's made 11 starts for the Rangers now, and he's 2-5. Let's compare his stats for Seattle and Texas




In Seattle, Lee made 13 starts, went 8-3 with a 2.34 ERA. In 103.2 IP, he gave up 5 homers and 27 earned runs.


In Texas, Lee has made 11 starts. He's 2-5 with a 4.69 ERA. In 80.2 IP, he has given up 10 homers and 42 earned runs.


That's not going to cut it. I know he won't be here next season. No pitcher in his right mind want's to pitch in the heat we have here in July and August. I'm still holding out hope that he'll be his normal dominant self come playoff time. Really, I am. If I keep telling myself that, maybe he'll be ok.


I won't hold Lee entirely repsonible for the debacle in KC. How on earth do you uncork a wild pitch in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run on 3rd!!?? I wanted to throw up when I heard that on the radio.


Ok, let's do some scattershooting.


1. I heard Stephen Strasburg was all set to get his Strasectomy on Friday. I mean Tommy John Surgery. Hey, I get it. You made a big splash for the Nats and an even bigger splash in the hobby. Let's face it, a fat guy in a pool can make a splash. How about you put up some long term numbers and then we'll name the surgery after you.


2. So the Rangers traded Joaquin Arias to the Mets for Jeff Francouer. I have to admit, I don't know squat about Francouer. I guess I need to find out something about him. I do know that Arias was a bust here. He just couldn't help the team in any way. Lucky for me I've got this to remember him by.


3. I need a little help from any of you with any broadcast knowledge. I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to work. The guy says that Strasburg is having Tommy John surgery on Friday to repair his injured ankle. I know he messed up. You know he messed up. It's not a big deal. Why don't they correct themselves? He went right on to the next copy point like he didn't realize he messed up and he may not have realized it, but I know he has a producer there too. Why don't they correct the guy? You hear it all the time during games. One guy will make a mistake and no one corrects the mistake. Sometimes you hear a pause, like they realized they said something wrong, but they don't correct it. Can't the guy talking in his earpiece say hey dummy, you said "X" when you meant "Y"? Maybe it doesn't bother anyone else. Sometimes it's even funny, but sometimes I just wish they would fix it.

4. The rosters expand from 25 to 40 on Wednesday. Is your team looking for help on the bench or are they giving some of the young guys some big league game time to finish out the season?

Ok, that's it. I'm off to figure out the contest for September.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff Francoeur - good power, above average speed, although does not use it to steal bases.
    Best outfield arm in baseball. Period. Has led the NL in outfield assists since a rookie way back when.
    Is a major streak hitter, streaks of good, and streaks of very bad....

    ReplyDelete