Thursday, April 26, 2012

2012 Gypsy Queen vs. Vintage

This post has been slightly delayed by all the issues I've had with Blogger the last few days.  I am happy to say that both of my posts on Tuesday went up as scheduled, so I'm hoping that issue is fixed. 

I bought two blasters of Gypsy Queen the first day it was at my local Wal-mart.  It just so happened that I made a $40 purchase of vintage cards from Blowout at the same time.  Aside from a slightly strained card budget, I was excited about both purchases.  I decided to do a side by side comparison to see which was the best "value".  Value being a very subjective term and it really just depends on your hobby priorities as to which purchase was the best value. 

I'm going to break this down into 8 posts.  I know, you don't want to read 8 posts comparing these two, but trust me, it will be worth it. 

Each blaster of GQ has 8 packs, giving me 16 packs of GQ to open.  The vintage purchase consisted of 65 cards.  I'll break each of the 8 posts down into two packs of GQ and two 4 card "packs" of vintage.  The final vintage card I show will be the "bonus" vintage hit!  See how that exclamation point makes this super exciting!!  Woo-hoo!!! 

GQ Pack 1

Max Scherzer, Tigers
Howie Kendrick, Angels
Ubaldo Jimenez, Indians
Ricky Romero, Blue Jays



Carlos Gonzalez regular mini



Hallmark Heroes Frank Robinson

Ok, not a great first pack, but the Robinson is pretty cool.


GQ Pack 2

Ike Davis, Mets
Anibel Sanchez, Marlins
Michael Cuddyer, Rockies
Billy Butler, Royals




Jhoulys Chacin Gypsy back mini



Justin Upton Future Stars

I think we have a Rockies hot box so far.  Two packs in and I'm not feeling it.  I like GQ, but the gray borders are a little blah and I haven't pulled a Ranger yet.  Let's move on to the vintage "packs".

Vintage "Pack" 1





1980 Topps Jim Sundberg.  Sweet, a Ranger right off the bat.




1978 Topps Ted Simmons.   I don't have the same animosity towards vintage Cardinals as I do the modern day ones. 




1978 Topps Gary Carter.  Great card of a great catcher.  RIP Gary.




1977 Topps Terry Humphrey.  Just put that comment I made about the Cardinals in here.  At least for catchers.

That's a pretty nice first "pack" of vintage catchers.  You may be noticing a theme to the vintage cards at this point.

Vintage "Pack" 2




1977 Topps Steve Yeager.  Just look at those players in the background.  What a glorious way to spend a Spring afternoon. 




1977 Topps Ron Hodges.  It's a little hard to see, but that chest protector looks awfully small. 




1977 Topps Rick Dempsey.  It says on the back that the Yankees had a season where they were never shutout.  Not this year though.  They've already been shutout by the Rays and the Rangers.



1977 Topps Carlton Fisk.  Sweet!  Finishing off with one of the best play at the plate cards ever is very nice.

I don't think it's even a contest so far.  Two packs in and vintage is kicking GQ's butt. 

What do you think? 

4 comments:

  1. I think the 'comparison' was tilted in a certain way from the beginning so the outcome was known. the story will now be told to show the favoured outcome.

    You sure you don't work for the media???? ESPN is hiring ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having problems with my prescheduled posts too. Looks like it's fixed.

    moe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that '77 Fisk card so much.

    ReplyDelete