Thursday, April 26, 2012

First Game of the Year

I got a last minute invite to the final game of the Yankees-Rangers series on Wednesday night.  It meant I would miss out on some sleep, but hey, I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead, right?  I couldn't pass up primo seats just 4 rows behind the Yankees dugout anyway so off I went. 

It wasn't a beautifully pitched game like the one Yu Darvish threw on Tuesday, but the end result was the same.  A nice 7-3 victory for the Rangers and a 15-4 record, still the best in baseball, and I went home a happy fan.

I pulled a few pics to show some of the action.


Associated Press

Derek Jeter was called safe on this steal, but he was out.  The tag was applied BEFORE he got to the bag. 


Getty Images


If you missed the first part of this play last night, you missed another Josh Hamilton highlight.  It was a 3-2 count and Mark Teixeira was off with the pitch.  Josh Hamilton made a sliding catch of a sinking liner in centerfield.  He popped up, spun around and gunned down Tex at first.  It was a thing of beauty and the crowd went nuts.


Getty Images


Josh Hamilton didn't do much at the plate.  He got hit by a pitch and from our vantage point it looked like he got hit in the family jewels.  It didn't seem to phase him much.  He also got walked intentionally twice AFTER successful sacrifice bunts by Elvis Andrus.   



Getty Images


Phil Hughes only lasted 2.2 innings.  Of course, Rangers starter Scott Feldman only went 3.1 innings and Robbie Ross came in and earned his 4th win of the season in relief.  Maybe I should add him in my fantasy league.  Anyway, here the Yankees circle the wagons as Hughes comes out of the game.  He got quite an ovation from the crowd by the Yankees dugout. 


Associated Press

The closest thing to a play at the plate was Ian Kinsler scoring on Adrian Beltre's single in the 6th inning.  The throw was cut off by someone and there wasn't a play. 

All in all, it was a blast.  I got to see homers from Adrian Beltre, Mitch Moreland and Mike Napoli.  My favorite player, Michael Young hit an RBI double to the gap.  I got to see the new stuff at the stadium and had great seats for a Rangers win over New York.  That's a pretty good way to spend a Wednesay if you ask me. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow - First gmae of the year. 2 Potential Playoff teams, a Yu game, Great Seats and beating the Yankees.

    You know how to live!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous! You picked a great series to go to. It looked like an electric atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete