Monday, April 9, 2012

Going Dark

It's been an eventful week around here. My son's been sick for a week, we had a tornado and in the process of tilling up my entire front flower bed, I managed to cut the line providing internet service to the house. Needless to say, this has made me the least popular guy in the house.

It did provide the opportunity to do something I've been wanting to do for awhile. We're going dark at my house this week. No internet, no tv, no video games and no blogging. My kids have become entirely too "gadget" dependent and I want to get them off the couch doing other things. We'll play their favorite board games, shoot some hoops, play catch, ride bikes...whatever they want to do that doesn't involve one of their electronic gadgets.

I'm not above a little cheating here and there, so I may comment on a blog or two, but I won't be posting anything and I won't be checking in that often. I look forward to returning to normal next week.

Now if someone can just tell me what normal is...

11 comments:

  1. I'm positive that Normal is a small town just north of Blommington, Illinois. See ya in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, stick to it! We've been leaving the TV off after dinner and playing a lot of Speed Scrabble lately. It's been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you had a vintage Al Dark card. I guess this is good, too. Luddite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your approach for embracing 'going dark' is very admirable! Sometimes my wife and I will leave our phones/gadgets in a drawer and load up the kids for a trip to the park or simply roll out the back door into the backyard.

    It's theraputic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on the other side of the equation. I used to be a service technician for a cable company and remember some of the reactions I got when people had cut their own lines doing yardwork.

    My favorite was the customer who didn't realize what he had done. I used to enjoy seeing the looks on their faces the moment that they realized they had caused their own problems and that the cable company wasn't involved in a conspiracy against them after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea! Enjoy an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 44, and I can say with all honestly that "normal" has changed several times during my life...

    Stay safe, and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL... I was just suggesting to my students that they try giving up the internet during their Spring Break... and they ALL laughed at me.

    I can go one or two days without it, but I just can't stay away for much longer than that.

    Enjoy your week "in the dark" with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last time we were without power we ended up with our 2nd daughter 9 months later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just went without the internet for 3 days over the weekend. I only cheated once or twice.

    It was kind of difficult. And this is from a guy who lived without the internet for the first 35 years of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We should probably do this at our house, but I'm too weak.I wouldn't have lasted long in the pioneer days.

    ReplyDelete