Monday, April 23, 2012

One man's junk is another man's treasure

You're opening a box, a blaster, a rack pack or maybe just that one pack you picked up on the way to get milk and bread. You get an insert, maybe even a parallel and if you're really lucky an honest to goodness relic from no specific event, game or backyard pool party. The problem is, the card you pulled is an Angel, a Brave or a Dodger. Any team that you don't collect.

No big deal though, you can trade it to some other blogger for something you really want. Unless...

You hold a draft.

It seems to be all the rage lately and I finally got in on one over at Jaybarkerfan's Junk. He had loads of cards that didn't fit into his collection so a few of us got to pick the ones we wanted most. Of course, the problem with a draft is someone always gets some of the cards you want. Oh well, it still worked out great and here are just a few of the cards I managed to get.





Golden Nolan is tipping his cap to Wes for the fun draft.





I like minis of all types and black borders are even better.





Well I'll be, it's Bucky F'ing Dent. In a Ranger uni no less.






This is one of my favorite cards from the draft. It's a 1999 Topps Chrome Juan Gonzalez Early Road to the Hall. Unfortunately, it was a little too early for that call.





This Nolan is another of the best cards in the draft. I love these Gallery cards.






How about some vintage? This 1973 Topps Tony Oliva was my first round draft pick. I had the 15th pick out of 15 people so in the snake draft that meant I got to pick 16th as well. My second pick was a 2011 Topps Kyle Drabek sparkle SP. Of course, I forgot to scan it.






Here is Johnny Bench talking about how he wishes he could have won 13 Gold Gloves like Pudge Rodriguez. Ok, not really.






I know it's just a modern day card, but anytime I can pick up something with Josh Gibson on it, I'm going to do it.






Wes included a bunch of Rangers cards that I didn't draft so that was really cool. One of them was this Fernando Tatis autographed card. That's a genuine on-card auto. As is too often the case, there is absolutely no way to tell who signed that card. His autograph is horrible. I still needed this and the red in the design is perfect for a Rangers card. I'm sure most of you know this, but I thought I'd mention it.

"Fernando Tatis, who had not hit a grand slam during his Major League career, homered twice with the bases loaded — both times off Chan Ho Park — in the third inning. Tatis, not only became the first Major League ballplayer to hit two grand slams in one inning, but he also set a new record with eight runs batted in during a single inning." Baseball-almanac.com. This happened April 23, 1999 when Tatis played for St. Louis. So, happy 13 anniversary of your best day ever Fernando!


Wes, thanks for a fun draft and all the great extra cards.

3 comments:

  1. I think I have a black border Hamilton from a couple years back if you can spare the Billingsley. If you already have that I'm sure I can find something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look again at that 1973 Oliva. Topps screwed up the spelling of Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete