Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cards from the Old Man Part 18: Duke Snider

This is the eighteenth in a series of posts about cards I received from the old collector in our town who had library catalogs full of cards from the 1950's-1970's. You can see those original posts here and here if you missed them.
Counting this card, there are 4 cards left in the series. I love these old vintage cards, but I'm looking forward to this series of posts ending. It doesn't draw any comments and the number of site hits on the weekend really dwindles. Of course I write that as I say to myself "I write this blog for me...no one else". But I don't think that is really true of any of us. We love the feedback and it probably doesn't hurt the ego to see the site hit numbers go up.


Boy, I got sidetracked.

I have to say I picked this card for the name. I very quickly learned who this player was, but I didn't know at the time I acquired the card.

1964 Topps Duke Snider


It's weird to me now to see Duke Snider in anything other than a Dodger uniform. Snider played 18 seasons, mostly with Brooklyn and L.A. He had 2,116 hits, 407 homeruns, 1,333 RBIs and a .295 batting average.





Snider played in 6 World Series, losing 4 of them to the Yankees and winning against the Yankees and White Sox once. It would be easy to understand if he was bitter about the Yankees. He was a 7 X All-Star and was the Sporting News Player of the Year in 1955.

This card has a crease running all the way across from 1960 to the right side, but he has a great name and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

1 comment: