Monday, January 9, 2012

The fog is clearing

I read your "collecting" resolution posts. I read your 2012 goals posts.

My mind was cluttered with so much pondering, pontificating and planning.

Over the weekend the fog started to clear and my plan for 2012 became a little clearer. This post helped a lot, although I don't think I'll be as resolved as Night Owl.

Looking back at 2012, I realize how much money I waste by approaching my collection in a haphazard manner. I don't think I can commit to NOT buying some of each product that comes out. I love opening packs too much for that. I do think I can commit to not buying blaster after blaster, value box after value box, because I really just don't need all the extra cards laying around. Not only that, but we all know, regardless how much fun it is to open packs, we almost NEVER get the cards we really, really want. I've probably had as much luck as anyone pulling hits for their own team (I got two Ranger hits in my Gint-A-Cuffs box last year), but more often than not, I feel let down by what I see at the end of the blaster. Still, it is SO MUCH fun to open packs. The unknown, the thrill of the chase. It's really an addiction.

I'm hoping to do a few things this year. I've got to do a better job of organizing what I buy, keeping my wantlists updated and keeping track of trades. It's a lot to do. I'll do my best, but I know myself. I'll fall behind. I always do.

You know the one thing I won't do this year? The one thing that is most important if I'm going to stay involved in this hobby. I won't stop having fun. I won't let the things I want to do, that I'll probably fail to do, stop me from the fact that opening packs, making trades and connecting with you fine people is fun.

After all, that's what cards are all about and if this hobby isn't fun, then you shouldn't be doing it.

I'll show you later today why spending money opening packs is wasteful if I can get the scans done. It's a fact, but it won't stop me from opening packs. It's just an option you should all keep in mind.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I will grab a blaster of some stuff that I don't love, like Ginter (for me) but I have to buy some packs. I love it. It is so much fun, just not knowing whats in there.

    Things I won't be doing include wasting money on super high end stuff. Glad you've got a resolution you can live with.

    Just have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's all about thinking twice to LIMIT the "Blaster-grabs". If you think twice, that doesn't mean you never buy them. It just means that you won't buy them every time.

    Also, being organized helps. If you're really organized, you are less likely to drop an unnecessary dime on cards. The tough part for me is - organizing can be time consuming, which makes it harder to find time to post about said cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I think all the word verifications for comments today should say either "Larkin" or "Tebow".

    Unfortunately Blogger does not agree with me - I got ingeop. Perhaps that's German for Tebow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a little tip I use to curb card spending...If the day of the week ends with a 'y', then it is ok to buy packs and blasters...wait...will that work? helll yea!!!

    ReplyDelete