Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cards from the Old Man: Part 3

This is the third in a series of posts about cards I received from the old collector in our town who had library catalogs full of cards from the 1950's-1970's. You can see those original posts here and here if you missed them. I picked this card because he was one of the big stars that I had heard of even though we never saw any games in our small Texas town.



I don't remember ever seeing a baseball game on TV until the 1979 World Series. One year later I watched the Phillies beat the Royasl 4-2. I was rooting for the Royals, but I learned all about Pete Rose and when I started collecting cards in 1981, I liked getting Pete Rose cards.
While looking through the old man's cards I came upon 4 or 5 of these 1973 Topps Rose cards. I liked the action shot and quickly made a trade for it.
Pete Rose played 24 years for the Reds, Phillies and Expos (it was weird seeing him in that uniform). He had 10 years with over 200 hits and 5 more years with more 185 or more hits. He was the Rookie of the Year in 1963 and the National League MVP in 1973. He finished with 4,256 hits, 160 homeruns, 1,314 rbis and a career .303 average. He should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer. Too bad for Pete, he had a little gambling issue that came between him and the Hall. I'm not going to re-hash the negative. It's there and it's not going away.

Do you think Pete and Ed Brinkman's high school claim Ed over Pete these days?

Do you think Pete Rose EVER gets in the Hall of Fame?

Do you think I should keep posting these cards?

4 comments:

  1. I definitely think you should keep posting these cards. The other two questions I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh HELL yes you keep posting these cards! I'll drive to your house and post 'em myself if I have to! How's THAT for creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete Rose is absolutely a Hall of Famer. I think the douchebaggery does not outweigh what he did in the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Dayf, I'm on it. Get out of the car.

    ReplyDelete