Monday, January 18, 2010

Today in MLB History--Are you serious?

This amazing tidbit courtesy of Baseball-Almanac.com.

This day in MLB history, Monday, January 18th.

1950 - Indians pitcher Bob Feller, coming off a lackluster 15-14 season, takes a $20,000 salary cut to $45,000. The pay cut is Feller's own suggestion.

There is NO way the Player's Union would allow such scandalous...I mean honorable, behavior by today's players. NO WAY. There have been numerous posts across the blogs in the last month or so about how great Bob Feller is when it comes to signing for fans. I think I need to get in on that action and preserve a slice of history for both my boys.

3 comments:

  1. I thought your comment, "There is no way the Player's Union would allow such scandalous..." was interesting because on December 11, 1956, Bob Feller was elected the first president of the Major League Baseball Players Association. I met Mr. Feller at the Indians Spring Training facility last year. He was really nice and signed for everybody. I was able to get him to sign a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever get to Iowa be sure to stop by the Bob Feller Hall of Fame in Van Meter, IA. It is a really nice tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the old timers are truly awesome, mostly for the things they've done off the field, or even after they've retired!

    ReplyDelete