Friday, July 20, 2012

The best card I've ever pulled!


If you read my post last night, forgive me for posting this again so soon.  I still can't believe I pulled this card myself.  Allow me a moment to elaborate on how I ended up with Mr. Darvish.




I wanted to try to get another gold bordered Angel in order to have something to offer Laurens at Card Buzz two golds for the two Ranger golds she pulled.  Well, that meant I needed a Ginter Value pack.  In the meantime, I needed a black bordered Dodger in order to make a swap with Night Owl for a black bordered Nellson Cruz mini he pulled.  Crazy, I know.

I stopped at Wal-mart with $30 to spend.  I wanted one blaster and one value pack.  Unfortunately, or so I thought, there were no blasters to be had and I ended up buying three of the value packs.  I know the whole thought process of buying packs so I could get something worthy of trading is dumb, but I do it from time to time anyway.  At any rate, I took the first three value packs off the hanger and plopped them down at the register along with some soup I bought to eat for dinner.

Shortly after I got to work, I opened the first pack.  Right on top of the gold bordered pack was an Erick Aybar gold mini that I can offer to Laurens. Nice.  I didn't manage to pull any Dodgers minis, but I'm not complaining.  I opened the 2nd value pack and found a Neftali Feliz gold bordered mini.  Sweet. I moved to the third value pack.  I opened the 2nd pack and noticed the black frame with the back of the card facing me.  I read "Yu Darvish" on the back and couldn't believe it.  I turned it over expecting a jersey card and was astounded to see that auto staring up at me.  I fumbled for my phone, took a pic and immediately posted the card you see above.

Even hours later, it's still shocking to think of all the circumstances that fell into place for me to get this card.  I needed gold minis to trade.  No blasters were available.  I was at the right store, at the right time and bought exactly the right amount of packs.  Wow.

14 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! Who says you never get anything good in retail packs?! (Okay, I never do, but still...). That's an amazing pull, sir, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Sometimes retail packs can really pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every so often a nice retail pull happens. I never get them this nice, but I am glad when someone else does. SCORE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your lucky pull!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (stands clapping).......another amazing retail pull! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow! Speechless - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!

    I have a Darvish WBC card in some box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to let you start choosing my packs for me! Awesome indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so awesome! Congrats!
    I know you're a Rangers man, but is that a keep or sell?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just another example of your crazy luck. That would be like me pulling a Puig autograph and that ain't ever happening.

    ReplyDelete