Thursday, July 19, 2012

Logo-rific

I'm a pack rat by nature.  I guess it goes hand in hand with my collecting habits.  I have a hard time getting rid of stuff and don't practice that old "if you haven't used it in 6 months, get rid of it" style of living.  Not most of the time anyway.  The other day my wife was reading one of those monthly ladies magazines and read an article on de-cluttering your house.  She's read various versions of that same article numerous times without it making any impact on her, but this time was different.

She came home and proceeded to begin the process of cleaning out her half (more like 8/10ths) of the closet.  She ended up with two large lawn and garden trash bags full of clothes to donate.  Feeling somewhat inspired, I started going through some of the plastic tubs I keep in the garage.  Most of it is stuff that I should get rid of, but can't seem to let go.  One of the things I found was my old school Rangers cap.




It looks just like Charlie Hough's 1983 Fleer cap.  I wore that thing everywhere and it sure looks like it now.  Despite years of storage, it is pretty dirty and worn.  I still can't let it go, but I did completely empty three plastic tubs into the trash.  It was liberating.  Seeing that cap reminded me how much I like the old Rangers logo.  That big red TR across the state of Texas instantly takes me back to my youth.  Isn't that one of the attractions to this hobby?




I remember getting that blue cap with the big white T and red bill for one of my birthdays.  I don't have a picture of it, but I'm sure I was smiling like Buddy Bell.




What say old school better than seeing your favorite cap on a Fergie Jenkins Kellogg's card.  I'm pretty sure this is the first and only Kellogg's Ranger I have.  I'm almost certain we would have gotten some of these as kids, but it would have been just before I cared about baseball, which means my two older brothers would have taken them.  No wonder I don't like those two.

This is another round of cards from the last batch Dustin at Coot Veal and the Vealtones sent over.  That was one heckuva trade package.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah there is something special about a ball cap from one's youth/childhood. Mine is in the form of an Original mid-60s Senators cap. It is too small for me now. I think it has always been "mine" (Unlike another Senators cap that is older and was one of my oldest brother's I think) anyway I show both caps along with the rest of my "Nats Hats" collection at my ustream page
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23930629

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found my old Astros cap from when I was a kid. I'm not sure how I came to own that one. It was the bright orange cap with the blue star and white H. Cool, old cap. I left in my parents attic. I'll rescue it one day. I have too much stuff in my house right now. I don't need to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew where my first red, mesh, snap-back Cardinals hat was. My dad had one just like it, and I'd always try to wear mine when he wore his.
    It still makes me feel good when we head to the park after work and we're both wearing our caps when we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outside of cards, I have very little clutter. Sometimes I try to clean out my clutter and it takes me like 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete