Friday, November 6, 2009

How much does a World Series cost?

If you've been reading any of my posts, you probably realize that I'm not a Yankee fan. If you've been paying attention to the talk amongst baseball fans and media over the last 10 years or so, you know many have accused the Yankees of trying to "buy" a World Series Crown. Breaking down the numbers since the Yankees won their last World Series prior to 2009 is staggering.



Between 2001 and 2009, the Yankees spent $1,578,299,197* on player payroll in an attempt to win another World Series title. Nearly 1.6 BILLION dollars to win another title. Finally, after 9 years of insane spending they succeeded in reaching their goal. The winners of all the World Series in all the years the Yankees didn't win in the 2000's (including the 2009 W.S. loser Phillies) spent a total of $841,387,677*. Still a lot of money, but nearly $737,000,000* less than the Yankees. Please do not try to tell me they weren't trying to buy another title.



Am I bitter? Yea, I'm bitter. Not only that they can afford to spend all that money, but that the Rangers owner Tom Hicks can't afford to spend any money. He can't even afford to own the Rangers and I pray that he is able to sell the team this summer. If things don't turn around soon, I'm afraid the Rangers will pull a Pirates/Rays move and there won't be any familiar faces around here in a couple of years.



*The numbers I found while researching for this post varied somewhat depending on the reference. I'm sure you may find different numbers depending on the source you use.

2 comments: