Friday, December 4, 2009

Generosity gone bad

I am blessed to have a very sweet mother-in-law. No, really. I'm not kidding. I'm not on Oxycontin or OD'ing on new card smell. She is thoughtful and generous. She overheard me talking about how much I love a good discounted blaster from Wally World. So what does she do? She buys me a few. I've had a couple of really nice 2008 Stadium Club discounted blasters that she picked up for $9.99. Yesterday, she tried again. Only this time it didn't work out so well.

She walks in and proudly places two freshly purchased discounted blasters in front of me. I'm very briefly excited until I see they are boxes of 2008 Upper Deck Documentary.

I've only recently re-entered the hobby so I've vaguely heard of this product. This 4980 card behemoth of a set holds no interest for me. I was kind of consciously avoiding it because the team collector part of me figured if I didn't have ANY of the 162 game cards for the Rangers, then I didn't need to get ALL of them. Well, not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I thanked her, and set them aside to think about what to do with them.

What do you think I did? Of course I opened them. One blaster equals 12 packs. 10 cards per pack equals 120 cards per blaster. I ended up pulling none of the Seasonal Signature Auto cards (shocker right?) so I had 240 cards. I say "had" because I don't want these cards. Oh, I'll keep the 8 Rangers cards, but that's all I want.

If you want to claim a team, leave a comment. I'd like to give as many people that want a team a chance to get one so if you want more than one team, post them in the order you prefer. If no one claims your second choice, I'll send that one along as well.

14 comments:

  1. If no one else claims the Royals, I'll will take them off of your hands. If someone else wants them, give them to that person instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know I want Dodgers (got your package today by the way).

    I believe I sent you a Ranger documentary card in the stack I sent. Big surprise, it was Josh Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any Orioles, if so I would be interested

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any Rays you'd be willing to part with would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in Yankees cards if still available

    ReplyDelete
  6. Put me down for the Cardinals. I only have a few of those cards so I doubt I have anything you pulled. I still have a long overdue package to send you that hopefully will go out on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take Cubs if you've got any. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright, I've got addresses for everyone except Gooch and El Capitan. I've sent them emails requesting addresses and I'll get all the cards out asap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your requested teams are packaged and will go out today. Thanks for reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since Dan took the Phillies, I'd like the Twins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm probably years late for this, but I'll take the Mariners. :-)

    ReplyDelete