Sunday, December 6, 2009

My own Staggering Trade of Genius

Back in early September, I contacted Matt over at Heartbreaking Cards of Staggering Genius. I had some cards off his wantlists and thought we might work out a deal. Boy did we ever work out a deal. I love opening that mailbox and seeing a padded envelope with my name on it. What could be better you ask?

How about opening the mailbox to find this?


Then you open the box and find these.


And these.

And these.



Isn't that awesome. Sorted by player or variousness. I love it. But you didn't think that was all did you? These were in there too.

Sure I noticed the Yaz pack and the even more various Rangers. But, VINTAGE RANGERS!!That caught my eye right away. Scoff if you want. I know there aren't any 1950's or 1960's Rangers. I still ripped open that pack first. But I'll post them last. By the way, this 8 pack box was the ultimate Hot Box for this Rangers fan.


We'll start at the bottom and go up. Normally I wouldn't bother posting a Mark Teixeira card, but this 2008 Topps Chrome is nice, shiny and #287/400. It does seem to emphasize the fact that Mark is a blow-hard. I mean, look at that face.

This very nice 2009 Legendary Cuts Ian Kinsler only looks like a postage stamp. I would buy a sheet of these if they were stamps.



I really like the throwback uni on this 1998 Pinnacle Inside card. The 1992 UD Ted Williams Will Clark is amazing. When Mr. Ted Williams says you are "Probably the best clutch hitter in the game" you know it's true. Seriously, it's an undeniable fact. Really.


Don't clean your glasses or your monitor. This pic is a little blurry. I do apologize for that and hope you won't stop following the blog or blacklist me. I still have my fingers crossed to get a scanner or money to buy a scanner for Christmas. We have here one 1989 Star Ryan, one 1991 Star Ryan, one 1991 Mother's Cookie Ryan and very nice goldiRyan from 1992 Leaf.

Here we have two absolutely marvelous Pudge cards. The 2007 Turkey Red is great. It looks like Pudge might be throwing into the first base dugout though. The 1997 Topps Stadium Club Matrix card is amazing. I've never seen any of these Matrix cards, but this one is stunning. AND it's a play at the plate too.


One of my all-time faves is Carl Yaztremski. He was the one guy I really hoped to pull back in the early 80s. Here we have a 1990 Topps All-Star Commemorative card (I think these came in rack packs) and a nice 1980 Topps Yaz card.


4 nice 1978 Topps Rangers that will fit great into the collection. I really wonder who that guy is way back on the left side of Dave May's card.




I really like Tom Grieve. He was the Rangers GM for awhile and has been a part of the Rangers TV broadcast team for awhile. He's a likable guy. The three 1974 Topps Traded cards are new to me. I had the Jenkins card but not the rest. Thanks for the Vintage stuff Matt!




Here we have, in logical right to left order, a 1976 Topps Steve Foucault, a 1978 Mike Hargrove and a 1979 Mike Hargrove. These just serve as a reminder of how few vintage cards I have.



I never would have guessed my favorite cards of any trade would be checklists, but these are my faves this time. I know for a fact that I didn't have either of these, but I really like them.
We have the 1974 checklist with facsimile autos and the 1975 which I look forward to seeing on Night Owl's coverage of the hippest card set ever.
Matt, thanks again for an incredible trade. I look forward to making another trade with you.

2 comments:

  1. The word 'Various' is now linked to cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, one of the things I like about trades is sorting them all out once I've got them...

    ReplyDelete